This tofu salad is a family favorite, and it’s super-easy to make.
I like to whip up a big batch of tofu salad on the weekend, so we can throw together fegg salad sandwiches whenever we want! During weeks like this, where free time is scarce, we sort of live on sandwiches like this one.
Fegg Salad (aka Tofu Salad) Sandwich
- 1 package firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cubed
- 3 or 4 scallions, minced
- handful of mushrooms, diced (You can mix up the veggies you use. Celery or peppers would be nice additions, also!)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon shoyu or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Vegenaise (or whatever sort of vegan mayo you like)
- 2 slices good, wheat bread
- sliced bread and butter pickle (optional, but recommended)
- Combine the salad ingredients, mixing gently. You want the tofu to crumble, but you don’t want it to turn out super-smooth.
- Serve in sandwich form on the bread with bread and butter pickles (or without, if you aren’t a pickle fan). If you’re not feeling sandwichy, it’s just as good on a bed of lettuce or on its own! Maybe with some chips or crackers for dipping?