This weekend, I whipped up a jar of Meditation Scrub. I’d forgotten how easy is is to create a homemade sugar scrub!
The sugar scrub that you’d find in the beauty aisle of a typical department store is not so great for your health or for the planet. All of that plastic packaging is a huge waste, and the scrub itself often contains toxic ingredients and chemical fragrances linked to all sorts of bad stuff from allergies to cancer. Boo!
Are you bummed out? Don’t be bummed out! You only need two basic ingredients plus your favorite-smelling essential oil to make your own sugar scrub. It takes only a few minutes to make – less time than finding your keys for a trip to the store.
The oil that I used for my homemade sugar scrub is a Meditation Oil blend from Aura Cacia. My husband is in love with this scent, and I wanted to make a scrub that we’d both be happy to use. You can use any essential oils that you like, or mix and match to create your own custom scents. You can also leave it unscented, if you prefer. Customization is the joy of making your own bath products, right?
Since creating this recipe, I also shared it in my panel at the Georgia Organics Conference. I wanted to make this an even more special project, so I created a cute little printable label that you can stick to the top of a small mason jar or tape to the the side of a half-pint jar. The label is totally optional, but if you want to give this as a gift, feel free to use it as many times as you’d like!
Easy Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipe
Materials & Supplies
- 3 parts coarse sugar
- 1 part olive oil
- 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil or oil blend
- clean glass jar
- Printable Sugar Scrub Lid Label (optional)
- scissors (optional)
- packing tape (optional)
- Combine your ingredients in your jar, stirring well to combine.
- If you’re using the printable label: Print and cut it out, then use the packing tape to adhere it to the jar. You want to be sure that you use a piece of tape that’s long enough to wrap all the way around your jar and overlap slightly – maybe by 1/2″. That way, your label is protected from water.
- Use your homemade sugar scrub to slough away dead skin and moisturize. Just scoop out a generous amount in the shower, and massage into your skin where you need it: knees, elbows, bottoms of feet, etc.