Vegan grilled quesadillas are deliciously dairy free and stuffed with sweet leeks and savory portobello mushrooms.
Man, do I love grilling season! A couple of years ago, I got Dave a gas grill for his birthday, and it may have been one of my best purchases ever. We grill at least once a week during the summer, and I love experimenting with different veggies and marinades.
Last week, I decided that instead of my usual grilled portobello mushroom, I’d try something a little bit different. When Rachel Fox talked about black bean quesadillas on Eat Drink Better, it got quesadillas on my brain! It turns out that quesadillas come out beautifully on the grill! Here’s how my grilled quesadillas went down.
Grilled Quesadilla with Portobellos and Leeks
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 portobello mushroom, chopped
- 2 leeks, white parts only, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Daiya cheddar shreds
- 2 large whole wheat tortillas
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and cook the leeks, mushrooms, and garlic until everything softens.
- Spread 1/4 cup of Daiya on to half of one tortilla, spread half of the mushroom mixture on top, and fold the tortilla in half. Repeat with the other tortilla and the rest of the cheese and mushrooms.
- Wrap your quesadillas in foil.
- Heat the grill to high and place the quesadillas on there. Grill for three minutes on one side, then flip and grill for four more minutes. Slice into triangles, and enjoy!
So now I sort of have quesadilla fever! Do you guys have any favorite fillings combinations? I really liked this combo, but it’s fun to mix things up, too!