This sweet potato salad is in a sweet and sour dressing made with pickle juice! Trust me, y’all.
We have a lot of sweet potatoes in our house. I mean…a LOT. Dave is not crazy about sweet potatoes, but we’ve been getting them almost every week in our CSA basket. I love sweet potatoes, but I’m only one woman! Those orange spuds have been piling up in the produce bin on our counter.
On Sunday we were heading to a cookout, and I decided that this was my chance to make a dent in the sweet potato stash. As you guys have probably noticed, I can’t really leave a recipe alone, but I hardly changed this one at all! Here’s my version, ever-so-slightly adapted from the Sweet & Savory Sweet Potato Salad over at VegWeb.
This was a hit with my omnivore friends, and even Dave, who doesn’t usually care for sweet potatoes, said he liked it!
Sweet and Sour Sweet Potato Salad
Yield: about 8 servings
- 4 cups diced sweet potatoes (1″ cubes work well)
- 1/4 cup spicy wasabi mustard (if you can’t find wasabi mustard, regular spicy mustard will do the trick)
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise
- 1/4 cup pickle juice (Yep, straight from the jar!)
- 6 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- smoked salt, to taste
- In a large pot, boil the sweet potatoes until they’re tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes well, and when they’re cool enough to handle, toss them with the rest of the ingredients. Chill really well before serving.
Do you guys have any other sweet potato recipe ideas for folks who don’t love sweet potatoes? The salad used a bunch of them, but I’ve still got a few left. I might just end up making another batch of sweet potato muffins, though I’d love to try something new if you guys have ideas!