These tasty black bean cakes were delicious over arugula and drizzled with a little bit of tahini dressing!
The secret to these heart-shaped cakes is a heart-shaped miniature loaf pan. If your pan isn’t heart shaped, you can try to mold the cakes by hand while they’re still warm. Just be gentle! They’re a little bit fall-aparty until they cool slightly.
Black Bean Cakes: Mini Love Loaves
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra to grease the pan
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mushroom soy sauce
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 2 garic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook the onion with 1/4 teaspoon salt in oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden. About 5 to 7 minutes. Add the bulgur and water and cook, covered, over low heat until water is absorbed – 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the beans and soy sauce.
- Pulse your bulgur mixture, pecans, garlic, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, a rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until finely chopped. If you have a tiny food processor like I do, doing this in batches is fine, even doing the ingredients separately and mixing them in the bowl will totally work!
- Press the mixture into an oiled heart shaped mini loaf pan. You can use a Texas muffin pan or other mini loaf pan, if you don’t have a heart shaped one. Bake for 20 minutes, and serve on a bed of greens.