We had some friends over to make ornaments and trim our Christmas tree, and at the last minute I decided that no party is complete without a themed dessert! Since we were planning Christmas-y snacks and Silk nog, I thought that spiced up vegan sugar cookies would be just the thing to round out the snack table.
I adapted these vegan sugar cookies from the rock solid Simple Sugar Cookies recipes on VegWeb, and they were a total hit! The ginger and cardamom turns these already awesome sugar cookies into a spiced holiday treat.
Ginger-Cardamom Vegan Sugar Cookies
Yield: 16 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, mix up the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal and water, and let it stand for a few minutes, until it thickens slightly. Add the oil, vanilla, ginger, and cardamom, and stir to combine really well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix together to make your dough.
- Divide the dough into 16 balls. Grab the first dough ball, flatten slightly, and place it on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- If you want, you can use a mini cookie cutter to embellish your cookies before you bake them. I made a little leaf-shaped dent in each one of mine.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, and let them cool for 10 minutes before serving.