Seriously, this cocktail just screams “Christmas!” to me. It was also a good excuse to pick up a pack of green and red striped paper straws from The Atlanta Institute of Stitches and Crafts. Her paper straws were for sale at the Indie Craft Experience Pop Up Shop, and I snagged a few packs of paper straws in colors that I haven’t been able to find elsewhere. I’m obsessed!
This is a pretty untraditional cranberry cosmopolitan recipe. I’m totally ditching the orange liqueur in favor of orange juice. I think the stronger orange flavor just meshes so well with the sweet pears and tart cranberry juice. The recipe below makes plenty of pear puree, so you can make quite a few cosmopolitans from this recipe!
I was able to find perfectly ripe pears, but if yours aren’t ripe, you can steam the chunks of pear for a few minutes to soften them up. The softer your pears, the smoother your puree will be. This cosmopolitan recipe also calls specifically for Bartlett pears. I chose these because they have a thin skin and get very soft when ripe. If you can’t find Bartlett pears you may want to peel your pears before making your puree.
Cranberry Cosmopolitan Recipe with Pear
Makes 3 cups, enough for about 6 cocktails
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1/2 cup cranberry pear puree (recipe below)
- sprig of rosemary, for garnish (optional)
- a few fresh cranberries (optional)
- Fill a glass with ice and add your vodka. Add the pear puree and stir to combine.
- Garnish with your rosemary sprig, float a few cranberries in the glass, and serve.
- 3 Bartlett pears, cored and chopped
- 1 cup cranberry juice (the sweetened sort)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- If your pears aren’t super duper ripe, steam them for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Combine all of the ingredients in your blender, and puree until totally smooth.