This easy vegetable and tofu casserole is hearty, filling, and delicious!
Even though the weather has warmed up, I’ve still been craving big bowls of yummy comfort food. This vegetable and tofu casserole is easy to make and fits the bill beautifully!
Did I mention that this is easy to make? Because it’s easy to make. Instead of chopping and properly cooking a bunch of veggies, I dumped in a healthy portion of frozen mixed vegetables. There’s very little supervised cooking time with this recipe, which is perfect! I was able to get this vegetable and tofu casserole prepped, assembled, and ready to bake while feeding Darrol his supper. That’s basically a cooking dream come true in mom land.
Did I mention that it’s also super healthy and comforting? Because that is also true! It’s packed with veggies, and it’s a 100 percent whole food recipe, meaning no artificial ingredients at all.
I’d love to hear about your easy supper recipes, too! What’s cooking at your house?
Easy Vegetable and Tofu Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 cups mixed frozen vegetables (my mix had broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
- 4 slices whole grain bread of your choice
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat in the bottom of a Dutch oven, add the onions, and give them a stir to coat them in the oil. Cover the pot and let those onions sweat until they’re soft and a little bit browned. About 8 minutes.
- Add the frozen veggies, water, and soy sauce to the pan. Stir, and then cover. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the veggies get tender.
- Make the tofu topping: While that cooks, pop your bread into the toaster and crumble your tofu into a bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients, and when the toast is ready crumble it into the bowl by hand.
- Turn off the stove, and use the back of a wooden spoon to flatten out the veggies some. Spread the topping over the vegetables, then pop your casserole into the oven for 15 minutes, or until the tofu browns just a bit. Serve hot.