Note: The hummus recall mentioned below was in June 2014, but you don’t need such a scary reason to make your own hummus. Homemade hummus is budget-friendly and so much fun to put together!
Does the hummus recall have you missing your favorite spread? Try one of these super yummy hummus recipes that you can make yourself!
Did you guys hear about the massive hummus recall? Trader Joe’s and Target are recalling over 7 tons of hummus combined. YIKES! As a lady that probably eats that much hummus on a monthly basis and feeds hummus to her son, that freaks me right out. Luckily, it’s not hard to make your own hummus from scratch!
The list below is originally from Eat Drink Better, and it’s got some of my favorite hummus recipes. Some are mine, some are other folks’, and they’re all freaking delicious.
10 Delicious Hummus Recipes: You may never eat store-bought hummus again!
originally published at Eat Drink Better
Hummus recall got you down? Try these yummy hummus recipes!
OK, so maybe in a pinch you’ll still pick up a pre-packaged tub of hummus, but after you see how easy and delicious it is to make hummus at home, maybe you’ll reach for the blender instead of the refrigerator case next time you need hummus for a party.
What I love about making hummus recipes at home is exploring the versatility of hummus. Sure, you can keep things basic, and there are a few very basic recipes on this list. But you can also experiment with different beans and added veggies and herbs to make endless delicious variations. Check it!
10 Delicious Hummus Recipes
1. Quick and Easy Hummus – This is a back-to-basics hummus recipe that will rock your socks.
2. Smoky Chipotle Black Bean Hummus – Traditional hummus stars garbanzo beans, and this recipe mixes things up with black beans and a chipotle kick.
3. Caramelized Onion Hummus – Caramelized onions lend their sweet-yet-savory magic to this hummus recipe. Caramelizing onions takes a little bit of time, but it’s so, so worth it.
4. Sprouted Hummus – Instead of cooked chickpeas, this recipe uses sprouts to take hummus to the next level of healthy.
5. Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus – Sneak some extra veggies into this deeply-seasoned hummus recipe. YUM!
6. Massaman Curry Pumpkin Hummus – If Thai curries are more your speed, try this decadent take on traditional hummus recipes.
7. Basil Pesto Hummus – Plenty of fresh basil turns basic hummus into a disappearing dip.
8. Chana Masala Hummus – This hummus is intended as part of a pizza recipe, but you could just as easily serve it with veggies and soft pita triangles for dipping.
9. Pinto Bean Hummus – Another chickpea-alternative! This is sort of a southwest-style hummus starring pinto beans instead of garbanzos.
10. Three Bean Hummus – Ya got me. I love hummus recipes with different sorts of beans! This yummy version uses good ol’ chickpeas plus lentils and black beans.