I have been working on a sticky coconut rice recipe for Darrol Henry for a while now, and I think I finally nailed it!
What better way to kick off Vegan MoFo than with a recipe that my son and I both love to share? There is no better way, is the answer. Happy MoFo, y’all!
My kid loves rice, but I tend to avoid serving it to him. Rice is hard to pick up, which means any ricey meal involves a ton of cleanup. I do not like cleanup. This coconut rice recipe is a little bit stickier, which makes it easier for Darrol Henry to pick up. That means more rice in his mouth and less on the floor!
There are lots of coconut rice recipes online, but I had a problem with most of them. The problem is, they all seemed to call for white rice. White rice isn’t bad for you, but it doesn’t rock the vitamin and mineral power like brown rice does.
My other requirement for the perfect coconut rice recipe was that it had to work in the rice cooker. Darrol will play independently long enough for me to mince some ginger and measure some water and coconut milk, but I needed a recipe that didn’t require coming back to the stove multiple times to check its progress. With the rice cooker, this coconut rice recipe is done in a click.
On its own, this coconut rice is not a sweet, sticky rice. It’s coconutty and delicious, but for my purposes I wanted something that came together a bit more. That’s hard to achieve with brown rice, and I was resigned to only somewhat-sticky rice.
I was serving some to Darrol while prepping his favorite snack: cubed sweet potato! Mashed sweet potato is the secret to these sticky coconut rice balls, and they are addictively delicious. Darrol is a fan!
Sugar Free Coconut Sticky Rice
Yield: about 8 servings of 2 rice balls apiece
- 1 batch Rice Cooker Coconut Rice (recipe below)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cooked
- When the rice and potato are both cool enough to handle, use your hands to mash the sweet potato and knead it together with the coconut rice. Just keep on kneading until you have a somewhat sticky dough.
- Shape the dough into about 1″-1 1/2″ balls. You can serve right away or store in the fridge and reheat when you’re ready to eat.
Rice Cooker Coconut Rice Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 15 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- water (more on how much in the intructions)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional, but recommended!)
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Pour your rice into your rice cooker, and combine with enough coconut milk and water to make 2 1/3 cups liquid total.
- Stir in the coconut oil, ginger, and soy sauce , and turn on the rice cooker. When it clicks, you’re ready to eat as-is or use in the sticky rice balls recipe above.
- Serve alongside a stir fry or top with chopped fruit (mango, anyone?) for a yummy dessert.
Part of the Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck XI!