Mild curry spices add just a little bit of heat to this curried potato salad and make it extra special.
The weather is warming up, and I’ve got picnics and summery food on the brain! Darrol has been more interested in coloring and puzzles than helping out in the kitchen lately, but my boy does love a potato. I was taking some initial recipe photos before he left for school this morning, and he really wanted to hold the potatoes before I cooked them. How could I say no to this face?
He’s not super into cooking right now, but like most toddlers this kid has some strong feelings about food. He loves onions, potatoes, peas, and carrots. A curried potato salad felt like a good chance to expand his flavor horizons a bit within the context of foods that he likes the best.
Plus, I’ll be honest, I wanted to eat some curry. This recipe couldn’t be simpler. Just dice up the potato and toss with veggies. I used frozen peas and carrots for the sake of time, but you could also steam your own mix of fresh peas and chopped fresh carrots. It’s totally your call. The salad is colorful and tasty either way!
Set the veggies aside, and make your sauce. There’s very little chopping to do, since most of the flavor comes from ground spices.
I wanted this to be a quick-to-make potato salad. Something that you could throw together for a last-minute picnic that doesn’t taste like you threw it together at the last minute.
How you cook the potatoes is up to you. I’m not ashamed to tell you that I tend to opt for the microwave these days. My microwave has a potato button and can cook up to four at once. There’s no pot to watch, no open flame to keep Darrol away from, and they cook up quickly.
If you’re averse to microwaves, though, you can also cook your potatoes on the stove. Chop them up into 1″ pieces, and throw them into a large pot of boiling water. Cook uncovered until they’re tender. It can take anywhere from five to 10 minutes, so just keep an eye on them. When you can easily slide a fork into your potato piece, they’re ready to drain and toss into your potato salad.
Mild Curried Potato Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 large red or white potatoes, cooked (microwaved is probably the easiest), and cut into 1″ pieces
- 2-3 scallions, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup peas and carrot pieces (I used defrosted from frozen. If you’re making this a day ahead, you can even use the frozen peas and carrots. They’ll defrost overnight in the fridge.)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise or your favorite vegan mayo
- juice of 1/2 a fresh lime
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced and seeded jalapeno (a little less than half a large jalapeno)
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, scallions, peas, and carrots. Toss together to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the garlic, mayo, lime juice, curry powder, coriander, turmeric, ginger, and jalapeno.
- Fold the mayo mixture into the potato mixture, and chill until you’re ready to serve.