This is a recipe that I started making a few Thanksgivings ago, and these stuffed mushrooms are always a total hit with vegans and omnivores alike!
This recipe can also be served totally raw! Just skip the baking, and let the ingredients set for about an hour at room temperature. If you want to make it 100% raw, just leave out the bread, adding an extra handful or two of spinach.
Cashew Pesto-Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1-2 slices bread, toasted and ground in the food processor
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 “stuffing” mushrooms, stems removed and reserved
- 1/2c raw cashews pieces
- salt, pepper, onion powder, to taste
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1/2c nutritional yeast
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Process each ingredient in the food processor and combine everything in a big bowl. Drizzle with enough olive oil to moisten.
- To stuff the mushrooms, form a ball with about 2T stuffing and cram it right into the caps! Layer the stuffed shrooms on a greased glass baking pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. You can serve them right out of the oven or at room temperature.
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by Chris Scott
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!