This is a family favorite! It’s super-easy. I like to make a batch on the weekend, so we can throw together sandwiches whenever we want! During weeks like this, where free time is scarce, we sort of live on sandwiches like this one:
- 1 package firm tofu, cubed
- 3 or 4 scallions, minced
- handful of mushrooms, diced (You can mix up the veggies you use. Celery or peppers would be nice!)
- 2t tumeric
- 2T nutritional yeast
- 1T shoyu or soy sauce
- 2T Veganaise (or whatever sort of vegan mayo you like)
- 2 slices good, wheat bread
- sliced bread and butter pickle (optional)
Combine the salad ingredients, mixing gently. You want the tofu to crumble, but you don’t want it to turn out super-smooth.
Serve in sandwich form on the bread with bread and butter pickles (or without, if you aren’t a pickle fan). If you’re not feeling sandwichy, it’s just as good on a bed of lettuce or on its own! Maybe with some chips or crackers for dipping?
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!