This healthy lentil and sweet potato soup is lovely in cold weather or for a quick summer supper. Really, the soup is just a vehicle for the lazy croutons.
We were sort of low on food Friday night, and part of me realllly wanted to order some Green Sprout, but I fought the urge and I’m so glad I did! This soup was hearty and it warmed us right up!
Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 5 cup no-chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup French lentils
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Haas avocado, chopped
- Put everything but the avocado into a soup pot or dutch oven and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for about 30 or 40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked.
- Ladle the soup into your blender and puree until it’s pretty much smooth. you can also use an immersion blender, if you have one. It’s so much easier!
- Serve topped with Lazy Croutons (recipe below) and the chopped avocado!
The soup will keep in the fridge for a few days, but you should definitely make your croutons right before serving. The recipe below makes enough for 1 bowl of soup.
- 1 slice of whole grain bread per bowl
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast per bowl
- margarine or coconut oil
- Pop the bread into the toaster, then sprinkle the nutritional yeast and spread on the margaine. Sort of like you’re making cinnamon toast. Tear the toast into pieces, and you’re all croutoned up!
This recipe makes a ton of soup….we ate it all weekend and still had enough left for a weeknight dinner!