Holy cold snap, you guys! What happened to Fall? It went from 70 and sunny to 40 and raining pretty much overnight. Total soup weather.
We were sort of low on food Friday night, and part of me realllly wanted to order some Green Sprout, but I fought the urge and I’m so glad I did! This soup was hearty and it warmed us right up!
Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
- 5 cup no-chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup French lentils
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Put everything into a soup pot or dutch oven and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for about 30 or 40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked.
- Ladle the soup into your blender and puree until it’s pretty much smooth.
- Serve, topped with Lazy Croutons (recipe below) and diced Haas avocado!
- 1 slice of whole grain bread per bowl
- T nutritional yeast per bowl
- margarine or coconut oil
- Pop the bread into the toaster, then sprinkle the nutritional yeast and spread on the margaine. Sort of like you’re making cinnamon toast. Tear the toast into pieces, and you’re all croutoned up!
This recipe makes a ton of soup….we ate it all weekend and still had enough left for a weeknight dinner!