I bought a little container of dried, candied mango a few weeks ago and it’s been languishing in the pantry since then, begging to be used in some sort of tasty baked good. I’m not sure how it took me that long to come up with a solution: CUPCAKES!
Just like the Coconut Lime Cupcakes with Molasses Rum Buttercream Frosting, these are based on the golden vanilla cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. You could also use your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe, if you prefer. Just make these simple substitutions and additions:
In the Batter
- Replace the soy milk with coconut milk.
- Use 1/2t coconut extract instead of the 2t vanilla extract.
- Mince and stir in 1/4c candied or dried mango after the batter is all mixed up.
For the Frosting
I used the Fluffy Buttercream Frosting recipe, also from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and just made a couple of quickie changes:
- Omitted the vanilla extract.
- Substituted coconut milk for the soy milk.
- Topped each frosted cupcake with a sliver of the candied mango.
Leaving out the extract entirely was sort of an experiment. I wanted a really simple frosting, since there were a lot of flavors going on in the cupcakes themselves. It worked out just right!
I may or may not have eaten three unfrosted cupcakes straight out of the oven and two more when I served them during LOST night. Adding the mango to the batter increased the volume, so I ended up with around 15 cupcakes instead of 12. So really, it’s like I had four cupcakes that day, not five. Right? …Right!