Curried peanut butter and jelly might sound bananas, but this grownup PB&J recipe is a sweet and spiced treat!
So a couple of weeks ago, a friend on Facebook made a joke about having way too much cilantro on hand:
I have an abundance of cilantro right now so everything from my salsa to my PB&J is getting it (okay, not the PB&J…kidding)
He may have been kidding, but I was totally taken with the idea. I mean, cilantro plus peanut butter has you halfway to an awesome peanut sauce. Why not just do this thing? So I did this thing. Here’s my recipe, along with some variation ideas.
Curried Peanut Butter and Jelly
Yield: 1 curried PB&J
- 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peach or apricot preserves
- optional additions: shredded coconut, 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, minced scallion
- In a small bowl, whisk the peanut butter, curry powder, ginger, and garlic together along with any additions that you’re using.
- Spread the peanut butter mixture and preserves onto your toast, cut in half on an angle, and enjoy!