Oh my goodness, you guys! I made vegan nutella! Not only that, it was delicious, easy, and used only four ingredients!
I followed this Nutella recipe from Su Good Sweets, though I like my Nutella a bit less sweet, so I halved the sugar. I also only had 1 cup of hazelnuts, so I halved the recipe. Lots of halving going on!
Here’s how it went down.
Vegan Nutella Recipe
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Puree the hazelnuts in your blender for a lot longer than you think you need to. Just keep blending, stopping once in a while to scrape down the sides of your blender, until it reaches the consistency of natural peanut butter. See the note below!
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. You might need to stop and scrape a few times during this part, as well.
- EAT! You can store what you don’t eat right this second in a glass container with a lid. A mason jar or old jam jar works perfectly.
NOTE: Su was so right about blending up the hazelnuts. It was sort of amazing to watch! I ground them up into a meal and thought there was no way they could get more ground than they were. Thanks to Su’s encouragement, though I kept processing and ended up with smooth, creamy hazelnut butter.
I was tempted to stop there, because hazelnut butter seems pretty darn decadent on its own, but I also had a craving for nutella on toast, so I went on.
All of that whizzing in the food processor leaves things on the warm side, and the spread firms up once it cools. I couldn’t resist spreading some right onto a piece of toasted oatmeal bread for dessert with a glass of almond milk! YUM!
I haven’t had Nutella since quitting dairy, so I’m pretty excited to have a jar full of the stuff in the fridge! I’m going to eat some with a banana for breakfast right now!