I came across this recipe on This is Why You’re Thin, and when I sent it to Dave, he said, “Let’s make that! Tonight! For dinner!”
Rather than grilling the corn and avocado, we decided to keep them raw. I also made some substitutions to use local ingredients from Vegetable Husband wherever possible. Here’s my adaptation of the original from She Sings at the Table:
Avocado Corn Cups
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 2T olive oil
- 2 ears raw corn
- 1/2 local sweet onion, minced
- 1T white balsamic vinegar
- 2T pineapple sage, minced
- 2 Haas avocados, halved and pitted
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sautee the squash until it’s soft.
- Cut the corn kernels off of the cob, then toss in a large, glass bowl with the cooked squash and the rest of the ingredients, except for the avocado.
- Stuff the mixture into the avocado halves, and serve.
We devoured these corn-filled avocados too quickly for me to get a photo! Each of us had a whole avocado, which felt like a super decadent dinner. There was enough of the corn filling left to serve as a dip for some friends who came over later to watch Dr. Who. We used pita chips for dipping, and it was a hit!
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by samantha celera