I mentioned on Facebook a while back that I was making biscuit pot pie, and a couple of folks asked for the recipe! It was a variation on my good old Pot Pie with Biscuit Crust, and I made some changes to feature the freaking gorgeous mustard greens we got from Vegetable Husband. I mean, really. These things were perfection. Here they are in the basket (that’s them on the far right):
Aren’t they lovely? All purples and greens! They were super spicy raw and mellowed out considerably on cooking. This recipe doesn’t call for any garlic or onions, because I wanted the bite from these greens to really shine. And it did!
Pot Pie with Biscuit Crust
- 1/4c margarine
- 1 pound tofu, cubed
- 2t herbes de Provence
- 6c mustard greens, coarsely chopped (kale or collards would work, too!)
- 1/3c flour
- 1 1/2c water or veggie broth (or half water or broth and half white wine)
- 1c organic frozen peas and corn
- 1 tube of vegan biscuit dough (FACT: a lot of regular store brands of biscuit dough are vegan. Check the ingredients!)
- In a Dutch oven, melt the margarine over medium high heat and sautee the tofu with the herbes de Provence for 3 minutes, then add the greens and the broth, then add the peas and corn.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium, and let the greens wilt in there for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, and stir the mixture for about a minute, then add the liquid. Let the mixture boil and thicken for a few minutes, then turn off the heat and set aside.
- You’ve got 2 options with this biscuit crust situation: either roll the dough out and cover the whole pie or cover with a layer of individual biscuits. I went the second route. If you want to roll out the dough, just make sure you poke a couple of holes in the middle of the crust to let steam out.
- Stick the pot pie in the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is nice and brown.
- Let it settle for about 5 minutes before serving.
The beauty of this recipe is its versatility. You can really use any protein and veggies you like, so have fun with it!
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!