We had some friends over to make ornaments and trim our Christmas tree, and at the last minute I decided that no party is complete without a themed dessert! Since we were planning Christmas-y snacks and Silk nog, I thought a spiced up sugar cookie would be just the thing to round out the snack table.
I adapted this vegan sugar cookie recipe from the rock solid Simple Sugar Cookies from VegWeb, and they were a total hit! The ginger and cardamom turns these already awesome sugar cookies into a spiced holiday treat.
Vegan Sugar Cookies with Ginger and Cardamom
Yield: 16 cookies
- 1 1/2c unbleached flour
- 1/2c sugar
- 1/2t baking soda
- 1/2t salt
- 1T flax meal
- 1/4c water
- 1/2c olive oil
- 1T vanilla extract
- 1t ginger powder
- 1t ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, mix up the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal and water, and let it stand for a few minutes, until it thickens slightly. Add the oil, vanilla, ginger, and cardamom, and stir to combine really well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix together to make your dough.
- Divide the dough into 16 balls. Grab the first dough ball, flatten slightly, and place it on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- If you want, you can use a mini cookie cutter to embellish your cookies before you bake them. I made a little leaf-shaped dent in each one of mine.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, and let them cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!