Have you guys seen those fragrance oil sticks at the store? They absorb scented oils from a little jar and diffuse the scents in to whatever room they’re in. Pretty cool, right?
The trouble with those store-bought fragrance sticks is right in the name: fragrance. The term “fragrance” is completely unregulated, and it can refer to a slough of different chemicals. Some of these chemicals are harmless, but others are harsh toxins and even carcinogens. Suddenly, those fragrances smell a lot less sweet.
Luckily, it’s super simple to whip up fragrance sticks at home with natural scents and recycled materials. Check it!
DIY Fragrance Sticks Materials
- Small glass jar – a jam or jelly jar would work really welll
- Sweet almond oil or other carrier oil of your choice
- Essential oils – make sure these are all natural. No “fragrance,” just herbs and other plants
- 3 bamboo cooking skewers
- Wire cutter
- Measuring cup
1. Grab your measuring cup and fill it to the 1/4 cup mark with your carrier oil.
2. Without emptying out the measuring cup, fill it to the 1/3 cup mark with the essential oil of your choice. I did a mix of 1 part rosemary to 3 parts patchouli for an earthy scent. Pour the mixture into the glass jar.
3. Trim your skewers. Since you’re going to be rotating which side of your skewers faces up, you need to get rid of that pointy end. Grab your wire cutter and trim off the skewers’ pointy ends.
5. Soak your skewers. Place the bamboo skewers into the glass jar and let them soak for 5-10 minutes. Flip them, so the dry end is now in the oil, and set out your fragrance sticks wherever you need a little burst of aromatherapy.
What’s your favorite essential oils combo? I love that rosemary and patchouli blend, but I’m also a big fan of lavender and tea tree oil.
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!