There’s something about warmer weather that makes me crave sandwiches, but I was getting sick of plain old bread with hummus and veggies. Sure, it was delicious, but how many hummus sandwiches can a gal eat before she just gets bored, right?
This tofu salad is tangy, satisfying, and fresh, and stuffing it in a toasty pita is absolutely perfect. It was just the right pick-me-up to get me out of my sandwich-making rut.
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s super versatile. Don’t have parsley handy? Try arugula or fresh lettuce instead. No scallions? No problem! Mince up a bit of onion in their place. You can also play around with the type of mustard that you use. The spicy brown mustard is delicious in this tofu salad, but you can also use yellow or dijon mustard to give it a whole different twist. You can also add any minced veggies you want, like carrots, beets, or chard stems. The only things I would definitely try to keep in there are the tofu, Veganaise, and nutritional yeast.
Magical Tofu Pita Pockets
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 1 block extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 3T Veganaise
- 2T spicy brown mustard
- 1-2t Sriracha or your favorite sauce, depending how hot you want to make it
- 1/3c fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4c nutritional yeast
- 2 whole wheat pita rounds, sliced in half
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the pita pockets in a medium sized bowl, stirring well to combine. Try to mash up the tofu a bit as you mix up the salad.
- Divide the tofu mixture between the pita halves, stuffing it inside gently, so you don’t tear the bread.
- Place your sandwiches into a toaster or an oven preheated to 350F for 5-7 minutes, just until the bread starts to brown.
Do you guys have a favorite sandwich that you’ve been making lately? Tell me all about it in the comments!
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!