Need a way to spice up your sweet potatoes? Oven fries to the rescue!
Before the weather started warming up, our CSA was rich with sweet potatoes. I mean, we got around four every week for over a month. Sweet potatoes store like gangbusters, so they just kind of hung out in the kitchen. My husband doesn’t like sweet potatoes, he says, and since usually when I cook it’s for both of us, they were not going so fast.
Then, we were up late one night watching Black Books and drinking beers. We got hungry, and I made a batch of sweet potato oven fries, and Dave loved them! We devoured a big tray, and I’ve been making them as a treat ever since. Paired with this rich, spiced ketchup, there’s freaking delicious, if I do say so myself!
Sweet Potato Oven Fries with Cumin Ketchup Dipping Sauce
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 1/2t ground cumin
- 1/8t ground ginger
- Dash of cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Cut your sweet potatoes into about 1/4″ sticks. They should be about as wide around as your pinky, but longer is fine.
3. Arrange the sweet potato slices on a cookie sheet, and drizzle olive oil over them. Toss the, well to coat them in the oil, adding more oilfield necessary.
4. Bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes so they cook evenly. When they look brown and a little crispy, they’re done.
5. While the fries bake, whisk together the ketchup, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. Serve the fries with the dipping sauce on the side.
Hint: The cooking time and temperature works perfectly if you want to make these sweet potato fries while you also cook up a magical veggie loaf (pictured at the top) to go with them!