I am declaring it Cupcake Week! Let’s talk cupcakes, OK?
For some reason, stuffed cupcakes have always seemed daunting to me. This is completely silly, because really stuffing a cupcakes requires one extra step, and it’s not even a complicated step.
A couple of weekends ago, I helped out at the Atlanta Vegan Bake Sale to benefit Atlanta Veg Fest, and one of the bakers brought beautiful cupcakes stuffed full of jam. I spent a couple of hours arranging the table and selling baked goods, and I kept glancing over at those stuffed cupcakes. They looked so good!
That evening, I was getting ready to bake some cupcakes for a friend’s birthday party, and at the last minute I decided that enough was enough! It was time to make stuffed cupcakes. It felt like the right thing to do, since I had a jar of homemade orange marmalade right there in the fridge.
Stuffing the marmalade cupcakes maybe added 10 minutes to the whole cupcake process, and it was totally worth it! These little guys were a delight!
Vegan Marmalade Cupcakes
- 1 dozen vegan vanilla cupcakes – I used the Golden Vanilla Cupcakes recipe from VCTOTW)
- 3/4c orange marmalade – You can use store-bought or make your own.
- 1 batch easy vegan chocolate frosting (recipe below)
1. Use a teaspoon to ever so gently scoop the center out of the cupcakes. Be careful not to pierce the sides or to scoop too far down.
2. Use the very same spoon to spoon marmalade into the holes you just scooped out. You can snack on those scooped out pieces of cupcake middle while you stuff. I mean, that part would just go to waste otherwise!
3. Spread chocolate frosting over the top of each cupcake to cover the marmalade, so your recipients get a jammy surprise when they bite into their cupcakes. Yum!
Easy Vegan Chocolate Frosting
This recipe probably makes more chocolate frosting than you need. That’s ok! Just stick it in the fridge and make more cupcakes or a small cake later on in the week.
- 1/2c non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4c powdered sugar
- 1/4 cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1t vanilla extract
- 1-4T almond milk, as needed
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients until totally combined.
2. If it looks all frosting-like, you’re done! If it seems a little too thick, add the almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!