Don’t you just love fall? One of my favorite things about this season is that our CSA brings us bunch after bunch of dark leafy greens. The other thing I love about fall is that it screams for soups. Soup is one of my favorite things to eat. It’s so easy to throw a soup together with whatever’s in your pantry or in season! This vegan tofu lemongrass soup recipe takes advantage of fall’s kale bounty!
Kale is super healthy. It’s got all the cancer-fighting power of other cruciferous vegetables, and it’s even got a couple of grams of protein in a one-cup serving. You can read more about kale’s super powers in my article about it on Care2.
The lemongrass I used for this recipe came in my CSA basket, but you can also find lemongrass at Asian markets and even sometimes at the supermarket. Having trouble finding lemongrass? Don’t worry! Just up the lemon juice to a whole lemon. It won’t have exactly the same taste, but you’ll still get that extra citrusy kick.
If your CSA or farmers market has other dark leafy greens that look good, don’t be shy about substituting them for the kale in this recipe! For more delicate greens – like spinach, bok choy, or Swiss chard – add them when you add the broth instead of at the beginning. They’ll wilt nicely with just a few minutes in the simmering soup.
Tofu Lemongrass Soup
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 a sweet onion, chopped
- 3 stalks lemongrass, cut into 2″ long pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 block extra firm tofu, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce (you can use more, if you want your soup to be hotter)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- juce of 1 lemon
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a soup pot on medium high, and add the bell pepper, onion, lemongrass, ginger, kale, and tofu. Saute, stirring, until the kale turns a beautiful bright green, about five minutes.
- Add the broth, soy sauce, Sriracha, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let your soup simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro.
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!