You can fill up a bunch of jars with this lentil soup mix for pretty much anyone on your gift list.
I’ve said before that I love giving (and receiving!) food gifts. You can’t go wrong with tasty edibles or mixes, and this lentil soup mix that I gave out a few years ago was a big hit! A few folks called me in January to ask me for the recipe so that they could make it again.
This recipe makes one jar, but if you’re planning to make a lot of these, I recommend doing it assembly line style – line up all of your ingredients and measuring cups around the table, so you can go from ingredient to ingredient. I’m also including a page of printable cards that you can attach to your jars that tells your giftee how to make the mix.
Lentil Soup Mix
- pint-sized mason jar
- printout of the Lentil Soup Recipe Card (pdf)
- 1/2 cup organic green lentils
- spice mixture (recipe below)
- 1 cup organic jasmine or basmati rice
- enough organic red lentils to fill the jar the rest of the way
- Layer the ingredients (starting with the lentils) into your jar. You want to make sure you really pack this tightly. If you leave too much headroom in the jar, your ingredients can shift and mix together, ruining the pretty layered effect.
- Print out the Lentil Soup Recipe Card page on to recycled cardstock, cut it up, punch holes, and tie one recipe to each jar with twine.
makes enough for one jar
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
You can spoon these right into the jar on top of your green lentils, or you can scale it up for however many jars you’re making, mix it all together in advance, and put 2 1/4 teaspoons of the mixture in each jar.