Christmas is almost here! Are you guys freaking out, or do you have everything wrapped and ready to gift? There is a pile of presents in my office that have been taunting me for weeks. “Wrap us already!” they say. Quiet, presents!
A lot of us tend to over-extend ourselves during this time of year. We feel obligated to attend every holiday shindig, to trim a perfect tree, hang those lights and decorations just right around the house – it’s exhausting! Now that we’re so close to the big day, I think it’s time for all of us to take a couple of hours away from all of that holiday stress and do something for ourselves.
In all of that holiday making and shopping, have you done anything to care for yourself? Around this time of year, I think it comes back to my favorite line from Twin Peaks:
Harry, I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it. Don’t wait for it. Just…let it happen. Could be a new shirt in a men’s store, a cat nap in your office chair, or…two cups of hot, black coffee.
Agent Cooper is spot on! Here are a few ways to indulge in a little self care without spending too much money or even taking a lot of time:
- Go out for a special cup of tea coffee. Maybe Agent Cooper had it right – a good, hot drink! I’m not sure about black coffee, but I do think that grabbing your book and heading to a coffee shop for an hour or so of reading and sipping can work wonders! A chai tea, perhaps?
- Draw a bath. Put on some good music or your favorite podcast, fill up the tub, and soak. Even better: pour some epsom salts in there and maybe 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil. I dare you to feel stressed after soaking in a lavendar and epsom salt bath!
- Get outside. I know, it’s cold out there! But fresh air is so rejuvenating! Take the dog for a walk, or just load up your mp3 player with some good music or a podcast and take a nice walk around the block. A little exercise soothes your soul.
- Do a little yoga. If you’re new to yoga, I recommend dropping in on a class – you can often find studios that will let you do the first class with them for free. If you’ve done yoga before, just grab your mat or a thick towel, and do a few relaxing poses. Need some suggestions? I compiled a short list of 8 poses to beat holiday stress for Care2 back in November.
- Make something for you. You don’t have to do an elaborate cooking or crafting project. Make a small batch of cookies or do a simple craft project that’s just for you. No pressure for perfection – it’s about the act of making!
Of course, the self care that’s most beneficial for you is a very personal thing, so it’s really about what makes you feel a little bit calmer and more pampered. Need more ideas? Donna and Tom have some for you:
Hi there! My name is Becky Striepe (pronounced “stree-pee,” like “sleepy”), and I am a freelance writer and vegan crafter living in Atlanta, Georgia. My life’s mission is to make green crafting and vegan food accessible to everyone! Check out my new book: 40 Days of Green Smoothies!