This baby has had me craving Indian food like nobody’s business, y’all! Cooking Indian food at home can seem a little daunting: so many recipes I see call for lots of ingredients and long cooking times, but making Indian food doesn’t have to be complicated or take a long time! This super easy lentils vindaloo recipe is living proof.
Honestly, at this point in my pregnancy easy meals are all I have the energy for, so I’ve been constantly trying to find ways to make dishes that are both simple and satisfying. One of my favorite tools for cooking up yummy meals with minimal work is my rice cooker.
You might think a rice cooker is just for making rice, but you can actually use it for almost any grain you want to make, and after some experimenting I learned that you can use it to make lentils, too! Add in some jarred vindaloo sauce (cheating, I know!), and you’ve got yourself a quick, deeply-seasoned bowl of delicious!
Rice Cooker Lentils Vindaloo
- 1/2 cup French lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa (you can also do half quinoa and half amaranth, if you want!)
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vindaloo paste
- optional garnishes: plain soy yogurt, mango pickle, mango salsa, sliced almonds, chopped green onion
- Pile everything into the rice cooker, give it a good stir, turn it on, and go read a book. When the cooker pops, supper is served!