I’d like to say that this pesto potato salad idea came to me in a dream or a thunderclap of inspiration, but basically it was about using the dill that was sitting in our produce drawer.
The weather this weekend was ridiculously beautiful here in Atlanta, perfect for celebrating a good friend’s birthday with a picnic potluck in the park on Saturday. I’m still not quite back to my usual kitchen shenanigans yet, so I was extra excited for a reason to get cooking! We had lots of dill left from a soup that my pops made when he visited a a couple of weeks ago, along with a few other veggies from the same visit. Sometimes a fridge dump makes the best recipe!
This potluck was baby central, y’all! We know two other couples with babies, and this was the first picnic for all three of us. It was a gorgeous afternoon of good food, good friends, cute babies, and happy dogs. Pretty much exactly what I needed.
I wish that I’d been able to take more photos on Saturday, but it’s much trickier to manage a camera when you’re toting an infant, it turns out! Honestly, I’m just excited that I found some time to write up this recipe, so I won’t forget how to make this! I’m still figuring all of that work/life balance stuff out, and if anyone has suggestions, I’d love some ideas! In the meantime, picture – if you will – a big bowl overflowing with chopped potato and bright orange shredded carrot tossed in a decadent, earthy-green pesto sauce.
Vegan Dill Pesto Potato Salad
- 3 cups diced, cooked potato – use whatever sort is your favorite or what’s in the pantry
- 1 cup shredded carrot – pro tip: you can save yourself some time and buy a bag of shredded carrots instead of shredding it yourself!
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- Handful of fresh dill
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toss together the veggies and set aside.
- To make the pesto: In your blender or food processor, combine the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Toss the pesto with the veggies, and chill the salad until you’re ready to serve!