Being a work-at-home mom can be challenging sometimes. When I have a long list of assignments and Darrol decides to go on a nap strike, I sometimes am not great about feeding myself. Part of getting the swing of this whole momming thing has been sorting out some easy vegan lunch ideas to keep me fed even when my kid face plants on the playmat and I’m running up against a deadline.
This easy soup recipe is actually something I became obsessed with last summer, right before discovering that I was pregnant. It was August, and all that I wanted to eat all day long was soup. I didn’t really have a lot of weird pregnancy cravings, but steaming hot soup in the middle of summer should have tipped me off that something was up.
I think that the trick to coming up with easy vegan lunch ideas (or really easy recipes in general) is knowing how to cut corners in the name of speed. This recipe totally embodies corner-cutting. Those dumplings came frozen in a bag. The carrots? Pre-shredded. The broth? That was a paste.
I’m betting that you could figure this recipe out on your own – plus a million vegan lunch ideas based on it! – but I’m including directions below in case you want to recreate this super delicious, super easy soup exactly. I’d also love to hear your favorite vegan lunch ideas to whip up during a busy afternoon! I’m determined not to starve here!
Vegan Lunch Ideas: Almost-Instant Soup
- 4-6 pre-made veggie dumplings (I used the Vegetable Gyoza from Trader Joe’s)
- generous handful of shredded carrots (You can find shredded organic carrots already in the bag. Recommended!)
- water to cover the dumplings and veggies
- about 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon No-Chicken Broth Paste
- juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon
- Sriracha sauce, to tate
- Put the gyoza, carrots, water, and broth paste into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high at 2-minute increments, stirring in between. Keep doing 2 minutes at a time until the dumplings are heated through. It usually takes around 6-8 minutes in my microwave.
- Stir in the lemon juice and Sriracha just before serving.