You can make this ginger and coconut ice cream float with or without booze. Either way, it’s a delicious treat!
This recipe is actually one I’ve been wanting to make for more than six months. Originally, we were going to include ginger ale and coconut ice cream float ingredients as part of the ice cream float bar at my friend Christy’s baby shower. We ended up without any coconut ice cream, and I sort of forgot about it until last week, when Dave came home with a four pack of fancy ginger beer.
This was the same shopping trip that brought home the fancy root beer for my orange root beer float idea, and since we had more ginger beer than one man would probably drink, I finally picked up some coconut ice cream and made my floaty dreams come true!
You can use any coconut ice cream you like, as long as it has a strong coconut taste. I used So Delicious Coconut Ice Cream in vanilla, but go with what’s available at your grocery store.
Just like with my root beer float, choosing a really good ginger beer or ginger ale is key. You want something with bite, because the soda is what carries this drink.
Coconut Ice Cream Ginger Float
- 2 generous scoops coconut ice cream
- 1 12 ounce bottle ginger beer
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon or rum (optional)
- 1 piece candied ginger (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- Scoop your ice cream into a tall glass, then top it off with your ginger beer. If you’re using booze, now’s the time to add it and give the whole thing a good stir.
- Serve right away, or top with your lemon zest and garnish with candied ginger.