I know! I’ve been all about the green cleaning products lately, right? It’s probably two parts spring-related and one part my awesome experience at The Georgia Organics Conference. It was such a thrill to connect with like-minded folks who are jazzed about getting gross chemicals out of their homes in favor of homemade solutions!
Between the green cleaning recipes that I’ve been sharing here and Spring Cleaning Week over at Crafting a Green World/Important Media, I’ve been poring over recipes for DIY cleaning supplies. Below are some of my green cleaning recipes and some of my faves from my friends. I’d love to hear about the cleaning supplies you’re making at home, too!
Why make your own cleaning supplies?
You can definitely buy healthier cleaning supplies than you could even a few years ago, and I will admit that Dave and I buy quite a bit of our cleaning arsenal at the store. The problem with store-bought cleaning supplies is that even the green products on store shelves aren’t as healthy for your home or your family as ones you make yourself. My advice, as always, is make what you can and when you can’t make, research.
The other downside to store-bought cleaning supplies is that most conventional cleaners at the store were tested on animals. Just like cosmetics testing, animal testing for household products is incredibly cruel. Born Free USA has a great article summing up what these animals endure and how you can avoid animal-tested cleaning products, if you’d like to read more about that.
Right! So! Enough with the bad news, right? Let’s make some cleaning supplies! Exclamation point!
11 Simple Green Cleaning Recipes
- DIY Cleaning Wipes to replace bleachy store-bought ones
- Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner works on floors, counters, and tabletops.
- Alternative All-Purpose Cleaner uses infused vinegar instead of essential oils for a less expensive recipe.
- Organic Laundry Sachet scents your clothes without toxic dryer sheets.
- DIY Dryer Sheets beat static without coating your clothing in harmful chemicals.
- Two-Ingredient Wood Polish leaves wood furniture shiny.
- Clean your Kitchen with Essential Oils instead of store-bought products.
- Homemade Laundry Soap is cheaper than even the toxic stuff at the store.
- DIY Soft Scrub scours grout and tile naturally.
- DIY Daily Shower Cleaner helps maintain that clean shower safely.
- Make Your Own Air Freshener instead of spraying chemicals into the air.
I know that a lot of you guys make your own cleaning supplies, too. Tell me your favorite green cleaning recipes in the comments!