Did you know that you can make vegan cheese from sunflower seeds? You can! And it’s so good in these super vegan nachos.
This Saturday was something of a cooking extravaganza around here. I had a ton of fresh produce, including 2 pints of tomatoes and 3 bunches of fresh parsley, that called to me from the fridge. It was clearly nacho time!
I’ve been on sort of a nacho kick lately! OK, really, I should say I’ve been on sort of a cheese kick lately after remembering how easy it is to whip up a batch of vegan cheese in the food processor. Since I’d just made a big batch of cashew sauce last week, I decided to try mixing things up a bit and make sunflower cheese instead. It was delicious! Perfect for nachos to go along with Saturday night movie marathon with my hubby.
The nachos were so easy to make:
- Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Spread out a layer of chips.
- Add any veggies you like (arugula or spinach goes nicely), and top with sunflower cheese (recipe below).
- Stick the chips in the oven on 350F for 5-10 minutes, keeping an eye on things to make sure they don’t burn.
- Serve topped with black bean salsa (recipe also below)!
If you’re in a hurry, you could use store-bought faux cheese and salsa, but it’s so satisfying to make your own! For a single serving of nachos, you can even make these in the toaster oven to save a little energy and keep from heating up the whole house. Caution: They take a bit less time in the toaster, so be extra diligent about keeping an eye! You just want to heat up the chips, veggies, and cheese!
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked for at least an hour, drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- Put everything in the blender or food processor and whizz until smooth. It took a bit longer to blend up than I thought it would, so be generous! Just keep tasting until it’s a nice, creamy texture.
Black Bean Salsa
- 2 cups tomato, finely diced (I used grape tomatoes, but whatever you have on hand should work just fine.)
- 1/4 cupred onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped (You can also do half parsley and half cilantro, if you like!)
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (If you like your salsa hot, leave in some of the seeds. Otherwise, compost those suckers!)
- Combine all your ingredients, mixing everything up really well. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.