This superfood recipe features quinoa, pomegranate seeds, plus two other delicious nutrient-packed ingredients!
I’ve been writing about superfoods over at Care2 lately and recently finished off the series with a roundup of the six superfoods that I’d talked about over the last couple of months. As I was reading through the list of foods, it occurred to me that you could probably create a recipe that used the majority of these all together. It turns out that you can, and the results are super yummy!
The stars in this superfood recipe are: quinoa, kale, avocado, and pomegranate seeds. Quinoa makes a great base for a salad. It’s chewy, nutty, and full of protein and fiber. Toss in some veggies, fruits, and a little lemon juice and olive oil, and you’ve got a simple salad that’s packed with nutrients
Superfood Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 packed cups kale, - chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Haas avocado - chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion - minced
- 1/4 cup additional olive oil
- Cook the quinoa in the water. I made mine in the rice cooker, but you can also do it on the stove. To cook quinoa on the stove, put the quinoa and water in a 2 quart pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. When the quinoa is cooked, transfer to the large bowl that you'll be serving your salad in.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, combine the kale, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Get in there with your hands and massage the kale so it's well coated, and set it aside to wilt for at least 10 minutes.
- When the quinoa has cooled, transfer the kale mixture, pomegranate seeds, avocado, onion, and additional olive oil to the bowl with the quinoa, and toss well. You can serve immediately or make this salad a day ahead and refrigerate overnight.