We’ve had a little bit of warm weather lately here in Atlanta, and this sparkling grapefruit margarita is just right for enjoying some porch time in the sun!
After two ice storms in as many weeks, I have been so happy to soak up some sunshine and warmer weather! It’s been in the 50s and 60s and sunny this week – perfect porch weather!
I’d be fixing myself a grapefruit margarita to sip on my own porch this evening, but I wrote and scheduled this recipe in advance. Today, we’re hitting the road for Jeckyll Island, Georgia and the Georgia Organics Conference! I’m super excited about sharing my DIY cleaning and personal care recipes and about checking out some of the other talks going on this weekend. It’s going to be a blast!
What makes this grapefruit margarita extra special is the grapefruit salt on the rim. It adds an extra citrusy punch that I just love. If you’re not into salting the rim on your margarita, you can skip this step, but I recommend it!
You can make this light, tangy grapefruit margarita with whatever grapefruits are available where you’re at. I used ruby red, because we got a couple of beauties in our CSA delivery. Choose what’s local, because that’s what’s also going to be the most delicious!
Sparkling Grapefruit Margarita
- grapefruit salt, for the rim (recipe below, optional)
- 1 1/2 ounces gold tequila
- juice of 1/2 a fresh grapefruit
- juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- soda water
- To make the grapefruit salt: Mix 1/2 teaspoon of finely minced grapefruit peel zest with 1 tablespoon coarse salt (I used Himalayan pink salt). Spread the mixture onto a small plate.
- To salt the rim: Turn on your sink and hold the top of a tall glass under the water for just a second to moisten it. Tip out any water from inside of the glass. Dip the top of the glass into the salt, and the water makes it stick.
- To make your drink: Combine the tequila, juices, and the maple syrup (if you’re using it) in the bottom of your glass, and stir gently. Fill the glass with ice, top off with the soda, and serve!