Coconut tofu is crispy and delicious dipped in a sweet-and-spicy sauce!
I have been on a real coconut kick lately! Darrol Henry has been getting coconut oil on his bread in the mornings instead of olive oil or margarine, and I’ve been sprinkling shredded coconut onto my food basically every day. I’d been wanting to try making coconut tofu for a while, and I’m so glad that I finally did!
This coconut tofu recipe is for my sponsor the EZ Tofu Press. Pressing the tofu in this recipe helps the coating stick better, because your tofu isn’t leaching extra moisture out during baking.
More EZ Tofu Press Recipes: Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tostada, Stuffed Mushrooms with Tofu Ricotta and Swiss Chard
What I like about the EZ Tofu Press vs a stack of cans on top of a plate is that it does a uniform job of pressing the tofu, and it’s a little bit faster. You can see the press in action in the review I wrote about them last year.
You don’t have to serve your coconut tofu with the maple-Sriracha dipping sauce, but I highly recommend it! It only takes a few minutes to mix up the sauce, and you can do it while the tofu bakes. If you’d rather keep it simple, you can use a bottled sauce for dipping instead.
Coconut Tofu with Maple-Sriracha Dipping Sauce
For the Coconut Tofu
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and cut into 16 "fingers"
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
For the Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Make the Coconut Tofu
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Whisk together the water and flax meal in a shallow bowl, and set it aside for 5 minutes or so to let it thicken up.
- Pour the shredded coconut into another shallow bowl. Thoroughly coat each piece of tofu in the flax mixture and then in the shredded coconut. Arrange in a single layer on a greased cookie sheet or one lined with a Silpat.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip, and bake for 10 minutes more.
Make the Maple-Sriracha Dipping Sauce
- Stir all of your ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve at room temperature. The coconut oil will solidify in your fridge, so you'll need to warm this sauce and stir it, if you store in the fridge before serving.