I’m so excited that Well Vegan’s Katie Koteen is here today to share an awesome recipe for a spicy, crispy tofu salad. Welcome, Katie! – Becky
Hi there Glue and Glitter readers! My name is Katie Koteen and I’m visiting all you from Well Vegan, where our goal is to help make your transition to a vegan living as easy, healthy, and delicious as possible. For starters, I’m going to tell you a little about our Vegan Starter Guide. Then we’ll move into the good stuff: a quick (and spicy) salad recipe from the guide.
Well Vegan: A Starter Guide is a complete guide for a healthy and successful transition to eating a plant-based diet. Our starter guide is designed to gives newbies a comprehensive overview of what switching to a vegan diet entails. Here’s a little bit of what you can expect to find inside:
- 160 Pages of Essential Information, Meal Plans and Recipes – Everything you need to get you off to a great start and eating healthy.
- Learn How to Make a Plant-based Meal – Learn how to construct a delicious and complete vegan meal loaded with nutrients.
- Learn the Health Benefits of a Vegan Diet – Using a plant-based diet to manage chronic health conditions such as high cholesterol, heart disease, weight management, and diabetes.
- Complete Nutritional Guidelines – Extensive nutritional guidelines, including resources for preparing plant-based proteins.
- Extra Goodies to Make Your Transition a Success – Six weeks of vegan meal plans, shopping lists, and over 50 of our favorite recipes complete with nutritional information.
And this month we’ll be offering it at 25% off for all you fabulous Glue and Glitter readers. Use this special link to get your discount!
Spicy, Crispy Tofu with Mint and Avocado Salad
Yield: 4 servings as a side, 2 servings as a main dish; 30 minutes to prepare
I came across this crispy tofu recipe years ago, and have no idea what magazine my mangled little clipping came from, but it’s a winner. Here’s a salad that will make your mouth feel like summer with just enough heat to warm you up.
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup spicy Asian chile sauce, plus 1/2 teaspoon for dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse salt
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 heads butterhead lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup fresh whole mint leaves
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Cut the tofu in half horizontally (slicing parallel to work surface). Keep the tofu stacked; cut crosswise in half to make 4 rectangles. Cut each rectangle into 2 triangles. See photo if this is all too confusing.
- In a large bowl whisk together 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce, orange zest, orange juice, and olive oil. Add salt to taste and set aside.
- Pour the remaining 1/3 cup chile sauce into a shallow bowl. Place the panko in a separate shallow bowl. Gently coat each piece of the tofu in the chile sauce and then the panko, patting it on each piece to coat.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat half the canola oil over medium heat. Gently place half the tofu in skillet. Pan-fry the tofu, turning once, until outsides are crisp and brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Repeat the process with remaining oil and tofu.
- Add lettuce and mint to bowl with dressing and toss to coat. Place equal mounds of salad in center of your plates. Add the avocado slices and tofu triangles on top.