Chocolate for breakfast, you guys! This chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie bowl is such a decadent morning treat!
aka The Gob Bluth aka There’s Always Money in the Banana Stand! This peanut butter banana smoothie bowl is rich with chocolatey goodness but not with added sugar.
You guys, this smoothie bowl idea came to me in a fever dream. Like, a real fever dream. I had a wretched cold a few weekends ago, and on the worst night I took medicine to help my congestion, so that I could sleep. And I dreamed about a bowl of chocolate, peanut butter, and banana goodness.
More Arrested Development-inspired eats: Vegan Sriracha Wings
And the best part? This thing is as healthy as it is decadent. The sweetness comes from whole fruit, not from refined sugar!
Magnesium-Rich Smoothie Bowl
The Vegan MoFo writing prompt for today is Focus on a Nutrient, and I chose magnesium. Many people – not just vegans – are magnesium deficient. In fact somewhere between 68 and 80 percent of Americans are magnesium deficient. Yikes!
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency include fatigue, extreme period cramps during your cycle, sugar cravings, fragile nails, and irritability. If you’re very low on magnesium, a supplement might help you get your levels back up to normal. If not, you just want to make sure you’re eating magnesium-rich foods every day. And this peanut butter banana smoothie bowl packed with cocoa powder is a magnesium powerhouse!
This smoothie bowl delivers 37.5% of your magnesium needs for the day! Can you believe it? Chocolate, peanuts, and bananas are all good sources of this important nutrient. Here’s the breakdown:
- 1 medium banana – 8% of your magnesium
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder – 7%
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter – 13%
- 1/4 of a Haas avocado – 2.5%
- 1 tablespoons ground flax – 7%
I also discovered in my research that chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie bowls are freaking delicious. Let’s make one!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Bowl
Yield: 1 chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie bowl
- 1 medium banana, cut in thirds (Don’t worry – this isn’t science. Just eyeball it!)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanut butter
- 1/4 of a Haas avocado, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup regular soy milk
- handful of oce cubes
- a little extra cocoa powder (this is for sprinkling)
- 1 handful of peanuts
- Combine 2/3 of your banana plus the peanut butter, avocado, flax meal, first batch of cocoa powder, soy milk, and ice in your blender. Puree until smooth and pour into your serving bowl. Chill for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Slice the leftover 1/3 of the banana and arrange the slices on top of your smoothie bowl. Sprinkle with the additional cocoa powder and peanuts, and serve.