A loaded sweet potato with curried greens makes an easy, healthy meal or side dish.
Fall and I have a love/hate relationship. I love fall food and cozy fall clothes, but all season long I dread the coming winter. Cold and I aren’t good friends, y’all. But cozy dishes like a loaded sweet potato stuffed with curried greens certainly help boost my love of fall!
Today’s Vegan MoFo prompt is Make a Dish Using All Seasonal Produce. When my friend Mandy mentioned that the sweet potatoes in her garden were about ready, it sparked the idea to make one of my favorite quick fall meals.
Collards and kale are in season almost year-round here in Georgia, and early fall is not an exception. This is a simple, seasonal recipe that comes together in a flash, especially if you make your potato in the microwave. Which I do. Don’t judge!
How to Make a Sweet Potato
There are lots of ways to cook your sweet potato. For this recipe, I cooked mine in the microwave. Your cooking time will vary depending on the size of your potato, so here’s how it worked in my microwave, which has a “Potato” button:
- Eyeball your sweet potato. How big is it? Most microwaves consider one “potato” about the size of a fist. How many fists is your potato? Mine was about three and cooked for around 10 minutes.
- Wash your sweet potato, then stab it with a fork or knife a few times. Rinse it again – you want it a little damp when you put it into the microwave.
- Stick it in the microwave, and cook using the potato function. If it’s not tender when time is up, cook on high for a minute at a time until it’s cooked through.
If you don’t like microwaves, you can also bake your sweet potato in the oven. Use these instructions from The Kitchn, if you’re going that route.
Loaded Sweet Potato with Curried Greens
Yield: 1 serving as a main dish, 2 as a side
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon each olive and sesame oil
- 2 cups chopped greens of your choice (I used collards.)
- 2 tablespoons of onion, chopped
- pinch of cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon each coriander, curry powder, garam masala, fennel seeds, and ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, optional
- salt, to taste
- Cook the potato in the microwave or in the oven (see above).
- Meanwhile, heat the oils in a frying pan on medium high heat, and toss in the greens, onion, and spices. Saute until the greens wilt and the fennel seeds are nice and brown.
- Slice the sweet potato in half, and top it with the margarine and salt, then with the greens.