Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BrewAsYouPlease #CollectiveBias
An Iced Dirty Chai is one of my favorite coffeehouse drinks, and I’m so happy that now I can make it at home!
If you’ve never had an Iced Dirty Chai, you are in for such a treat! It’s basically a chai tea with a shot of espresso. This home-spun version uses Folgers® Coffeehouse Blend ground coffee brewed in the Chemex and milk steeped with a couple of bags chai tea.
You can sweeten your drink with a touch of maple syrup, or not. I’ve made this with and without the added sweetener and liked it both ways, so feel free to tailor this recipe to your sweet tooth!
No Chemex? No problem!
You can still make an Iced Dirty Chai! Just brew up two cups (16 ounces – not two cups on the coffee pot) of Folgers Coffeehouse Blend using your favorite brew method. When Folgers asked me to create a recipe for their Coffeehouse Blend, I was excited to try it in the Chemex, but their Coffeehouse Blend works well with other brewing methods:
- French press
- regular drip
- other pour-overs
- cold brew
I used the same Folgers Coffeehouse Blend grounds with my French press in this coffee milkshake recipe. It has a nice, strong flavor that’s great for layering. In the milkshake, I combined Coffeehouse Blend with orange, and for this recipe it’s paired with rich chai spices.
I grabbed a container of Folgers Coffeehouse Blend at Kroger. It’s right in the coffee aisle.
How to Make an Iced Dirty Chai at Home
Making this Iced Dirty Chai is so easy! Steep a couple of bags of chai tea in a cup of your favorite vegan milk. You’re using two bags to one cup, because you want the chai flavors to be extra strong.
While the milk tea is steeping, brew up your coffee. If you’re new to Chemex, don’t worry! I walk you through the steps in the recipe, and below are some visuals that you can use to follow along. The basic steps are:
- Make sure that your filter is seated so the seam with the triple layer of paper is over the spout side.
- Rinse the filter, and discard the rinsing water.
- Add your measured Folgers Coffeehouse Blend grounds, and pour a little bit of water to make it bloom.
- Slowly pour the rest of the water, making sure to get all of the grounds involved.
- When the filter stops dripping, you’re ready to pour.
Then mix the coffee and the chai, sweeten to taste, and pour over ice. Such an easy way to make a refreshing summer drink!
I’m so excited that I get to have my favorite coffeehouse drink at home, you guys, and I hope that you love this homemade Iced Dirty Chai as much as I do!
Iced Dirty Chai
- 1 cup vegan milk (I used soy.)
- 2 bags chai tea
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup optional, or to taste
- 36 grams Folgers Coffeehouse Blend ground coffee (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 1/2 cups water
Make Your Vegan Milk Chai
- Heat your milk on the stove or in the microwave. Add the tea bags, and set aside to steep for 10-15 minutes. Gently wring out the tea bags on the back of a spoon before discarding them.
Make Your Chemex Coffee
- Place your filter into the top of your Chemex, and measure and add the coffee grounds. Heat the water to 205F. If you don't have a fancy pot that tells you your water temperature, you can bring to a boil, then let it settle for a bit before pouring. Use a small amount of the water to rinse your filter, and pour out any of the water that drips down into the pot.
- Pour a little bit of water over the coffee to moisten the grounds, then stop, and watch the coffee grounds "bloom." The grounds will expand a bit and release excess air.
- Once the bloom is done, keep on slowly pouring, making sure that you're wetting the grounds evenly. If the filter gets full to the brim, stop and let some of the coffee drain, then continue to pour slowly. When all of the water has filtered through the grounds and the coffee filter, you're done.
Make the Iced Dirty Chai
- Combine 2 cups of the coffee (You can sip on any extra.) and Vegan Milk Chai you made in a pitcher. Stir to combine, and add maple syrup, to taste.
- Fill two tall glasses with ice. Divide the Dirty Chai mixture between the two glasses, and serve immediately.