Fix yourself a Cucumber Lime Summer Shandy for some proper porch sipping.
What’s a shandy?
If you’ve never had a shandy before, you are in for such a treat! Traditionally, a summer shandy is a beer-lemonade mix (usually I see pilsner as the base), but you can really combine the beer of your choice with any juice or soda to make the shandy of your DREAMS.
This version uses wheat beer, a little bit of sweetener, and plenty of fresh cucumber and lime goodness instead. It’s seriously a glassful of summer.
What Beer to Use
I used Bell’s Oberon, a vegan wheat beer, to test this recipe. Bell’s did not sponsor this recipe – I just wanted to use a wheat beer that was vegan and widely available. Any wheat beer you like will work well. The cucumber and lime are the true stars of this recipe!
If you can’t find Oberon, don’t worry! There are tons of vegan wheat beer options out there. Just choose one that sounds good to you and doesn’t have any flavors that might be weird combined with cucumber and lime.
How to Make a Summer Shandy
To make a traditional summer shandy, you just combine your beer and juice or soda, maybe with some ice, in a tall glass. This recipe is almost as simple – there’s really just one extra step, and it takes about two extra minutes.
The extra step: Just combine the lime juice, cucumber slices, and agave nectar in your glasses, and muddle. Don’t worry! You don’t need any special tools to muddle. Muddling is a fancy word for smushing. If you don’t have a muddling tool, you can use a spoon to mash and mix the ingredients instead. the idea is the break down the mint leaves and cucumber a bit, so they’ll release more flavor into the finished drink.
Once you’ve muddled, you’re ready add your beer to the glass, fill the glass up with ice, and top off with a splash of soda water. Stir, and serve garnished with extra lime and an optional sprig mint. You can also add a cucumber wheel, just for pretty.
Cucumber Lime Summer Shandy
- 2 fresh limes - cut in half (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 6 slices cucumber - Aim for slices about 1/4" thick.
- 1 12 ounce can vegan wheat beer
- soda water
- mint, lime wheels, and cucumber wheels, for garnish - optional
- Juice one lime into a pint glass, dropping half a lime into the glass after juicing. Add 1 tablespoon agave nectar and 3 cucumber slices. Muddle well.
- Repeat step 1 in another pint glass with the remaining lime, tablespoon of agave, and 3 slices of cucumber.
- Divide the beer between your glasses, then top off with ice.
- Top off the each glass with soda water.
- Garnish with some mint, a lime wheel, and a cucumber wheel. Serve immediately.