Toast Valentine’s Day with a tart, vibrant Pomegranate Shandy. This simple beer cocktail for two couldn’t be easier to make.
Guys, I love a shandy! I was first introduced to this beer cocktail back in college, when my sister called to tell me that lager and lemonade was a complete delight to drink. I’ve been mixing up shandies for years, and this Pomegranate Shandy is my latest beer remix.
A traditional shandy combines beer (usually a lager) with something non-alcoholic. Lemonade, ginger ale, and orange juice are common shandy ingredients. This recipe builds on that idea. It starts with pomegranate juice, then adds a splash of liqueur and a healthy squeeze of lime.
You only need a few ingredients to mix up your pomegranate shandy:
- a bottle or can of your favorite vegan lager
- pomegranate liqueur
- pomegranate juice
- soda water
If you can pour and stir, you can make this simple-yet-fancy beer cocktail in a flash!
One 12-ounce beer yields two shandies, which makes this cocktail perfect for Valentine’s Day or any time you’re fixing a special drink for two.
If you can’t find (or just don’t want to buy) the pomegranate liqueur, don’t sweat it! I think it adds a nice touch of sweetness and punch to the mix, but you can definitely leave it out.
In the directions below, you’ll see that you can just substitute an extra tablespoon of pomegranate juice in each glass.
- 1 fresh lime cut in half (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 ounce pomegranate liqueur optional - you can use another two tablespoons of juice instead
- 1 12 ounce can vegan lager
- soda water
- Juice half of a lime into each pint glass, dropping the lime half into the glass after juicing. Pour 1/4 cup pomegranate juice and 1/2 ounce of pomegranate liqueur into each glass.
- Divide the beer between your glasses, pouring slowly to prevent too much foam, then top each glass off with ice and then soda water. Garnish with a lime wedge.