Why wait all day for boiled peanuts, when you can make Pressure Cooker Boiled Peanuts in a fraction of the time? You only need a few ingredients to make boiled peanuts in your Instant Pot or any pressure cooker.
Pressure Cooker Boiled Peanuts
These savory Pressure Cooker Boiled Peanuts taste like summer, and they’re so simple to make in the Instant Pot. So grab yourself some raw peanuts, and let’s get cooking!
I know, summer isn’t exactly here yet, but I am so ready for shorts weather! These boiled peanuts make me want to dust off my flip flops and head out onto the back porch with a cold beer.
How to Make Boiled Peanuts in the Pressure Cooker
Pressure Cooker Boiled Peanuts only cook for two hours in the Instant Pot or other pressure cooker.
Usually, you’d simmer boiled peanuts for 3-4 hours on the stovetop, so this recipe takes about half of the cooking time! Resting time for Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts is the same as for stovetop.
Even though it does take about two hours, you barely have to be there for any of that time. The beauty of the Instant Pot is that you can set it and forget it.
The critical first step when making boiled peanuts – in the pressure cooker or otherwise – is to get all of the dirt off of the shells.
Soaking in water, then rinsing very well is your best bet. I like to put the soaked peanuts into a colander, then get in there with my hands to agitate the peanuts, so any grit goes down the drain.
Once your nuts are soaked and cleaned, you’re ready to throw them into the pressure cooker with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and water. Cook at pressure, then do a natural release.
Once the peanuts are cooled, you’re almost ready to eat!
Every bag of raw peanuts is different, so your cooking time may vary slightly. Older raw peanuts may need to cook longer, and that’s no big deal.
Test out a few peanuts before you drain them, and if they’re not soft enough to pop open easily, put the lid back onto the Instant Pot, and cook for another 10-15 minutes at high pressure. Do a quick release, and check again. Repeat until your peanuts are cooked to perfection.
Pressure Cooker Boiled Peanuts
- 3/4 pound raw peanuts in the shell about 5 cups, washed well and drained
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 6 cup water
- Transfer the peanuts to your pressure cooker and add the salt and spices. Add the water.
- Cook at high pressure for 2 hours, then do a 10 minute natural release (DO NOT press cancel when the Pot beeps after cooking - leave it at low pressure).
- Let the peanuts sit in the pot until they're cool enough to handle (about 20 more minutes), then pop open one of the peanuts and taste it. If it's not easy to open and soft, bring the pot back to pressure for 5-10 more minutes, and do another natural release. Peanuts can vary in how hard they are, so cooking time will vary as well. If they're still not done after another round of cooking, do another 5 minutes, and keep going until they're nice and soft.
- Drain your peanuts and store in an airtight container. They'll keep in the fridge for about a week to 10 days.