You don't need to deep fry to make crunchy, cozy hush puppies. Air fryer hush puppies only take 20 minutes to make. They're perfect little balls of cornbready goodness!
This recipe for vegan air fryer hush puppies comes from Kathy Hester's cookbook: Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer. The recipe includes oil-free instructions, if that's your jam.
In the recipe video, you'll see that I did use the optional spritz of oil, because I like how a little oil makes food crispier. But you do you!
I was extra jazzed to see this recipe in the book, because long, long ago, I asked folks on Instagram to tell me what air fryer recipes they'd like to see. My friend, Ian, had a few requests, and air fryer hush puppies was among them.
Ian, you probably thought that I forgot about you, but your suggestion has been on my to-do list all this time. Then Kathy went and to-did it for me! Sometimes, procrastination pays off.
About Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer
I have been anxiously awaiting Kathy's air fryer cookbook for a couple of reasons. First of all, Kathy's recipes are just plain ah-mazing. She's so creative, and she tests her recipes like crazy, so you know that they'll always be awesome.
The book kicks off with a little get-to-know-you section about air fryers. It answers some frequently asked questions and gives tips on accessories and how to use them.
From there, it dives into the recipes. Kathy shares air fryer recipes for staples, snacks, entress, side dishes, breakfasts, and even desserts. I've got her recipe for Air Fryer Hush Puppies below, and you can more recipes from the book from these other sites:
- Small-Batch Brownies at Spabettie - She puts a salty pistachio twist on this recipe!
- Small-Batch Brownies Veggies Save the Day using the gluten-free variation
- Air Fryer Bowtie Pasta Chips at Kathy's site, Healthy Slow Cooking
- Nutty French Toast at Kathy's site, Healthy Slow Cooking
- Twice-Fried Stuffed Potatoes at Kathy's site, Healthy Slow Cooking
Are you drooling yet? Let's make air fry some hush puppies, y'all!
The recipe below includes oil-free and soy-free options, if that's how you roll. In the video, you'll see that I use the original recipe, including the oil and soy milk.
If you don't do oil and/or soy, just replace the oil with extra aquafaba and the soy milk with any other milk. When you change milks, just skip the vinegar.
Now that we have variations out of the way, let's talk about how easy this seven-ingredient recipe is:
- Mix up the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix again.
- Scoop into your air fryer.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
Easy peasy! Get the full instructions for how to make Air Fryer Hush Puppies below.
How to serve and store these
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the pantry. They will keep for around three days.
You can serve them at room temperature or warm them back up in the air fryer at 350° F for five minutes.
Air fryer hush puppies recipe
- Add the cornmeal, baking powder and salt to a medium-size mixing bowl and combine well.
- Mix in the nondairy milk, onion, aquafaba, sugar and olive oil.
- Scoop a tablespoon (15 g) of batter and roll into a ball. You can also just use a 1 tablespoon (15 g) scoop. Place in your air fryer basket.
- Once the basket is full, spray the tops with oil if using. Bake at 390°F (200°C) for 10 minutes. (NOTE: I didn't use parchment paper, and it worked fine.) Repeat until all the hush puppies are cooked.