Serve up this homemade apple pie soda with our without a splash of rum.
The mornings are chilly here in Atlanta, and that means fall is here! This homemade apple pie soda is full of warm fall flavors. You can serve it up with a little rum or without.
The base for this apple pie soda is a vinegar syrup called a shrub. If you're new to shrubs, I am so glad that I can introduce you to these sweet and sour syrups. These fruity mixes were originally made to preserve the fruit harvest, and you can serve them mixed with soda water for a delicious homemade sodapop. If you like things boozy, white or spiced rum both go deliciously in this drink.
Fruit and vinegar might sound like a terrible combination, but I swear that it is delicious. Vinegar's acidity mixed with the sweet fruit and what is frankly a lot of sugar produces a taste that I can best describe as a mouth party.
Put on your coziest sweater, and curl up with a tall, cool glassful of fall.
Spiced Apple Pie Soda
You can serve the apple shrub recipe below with or without the booze, depending on your tastes. It's delicious either way! This recipe makes about 2-2 1/2 cups of syrup, enough for 6-7 cocktails or 8-10 sodas. It really depends on how patient and thorough you are when you're straining.
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- pinch of cloves
- rum - light or spiced will work well (optional)
- soda water
- cinnamon sticks, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the applesauce with the vinegar, sugar, and spices in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Let the shrub cool, then strain your mixture through a fine mesh strainer, pressing it through with the back of a spoon to get as much of the goods out as possible.
- To make one apple pie soda: Fill a tall glass with ice and add 1/4 cup of the apple shrub. Top off with soda water, stir, and sip. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, if you like.
- To make one apple pie cocktail: Fill a tall glass with ice and add 1/3 cup of the apple shrub plus 1 ounce of rum. Top off with soda water, stir, and sip. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, if you like.