This chocolate smoothie bowl is packed with, cherries, sneaky greens and protein. Chocolate is on the menu for breakfast!
Chocolate covered cherries are one of my favorite sweet treats. Long ago, before I went vegan, they were the first thing I'd pull out of a Whitman's Sampler. This chocolate smoothie bowl is me trying to have my favorite sweet treat, but for breakfast.
This smoothie bowl is rich with fruity and chocolatey goodness, but it's also got kale in the mix, so you can feel good about eating dessert first thing in the morning. You're welcome.
Making a smoothie bowl is as easy as making a smoothie, so I don't have a ton of notes to share here.
The only thing I do want to mention is that your blending time and the total amount of liquid you need will depend on what type of blender you have.
A high speed blender will require less vegan milk and less time to make the chocolate smoothie bowl base. In a regular blender, you may need another splash or two of milk and a bit more time.
If you do find yourself blending for a longer time, make sure to take breaks. This allows your blender's motor to rest, so it doesn't overheat and burn out.
You can thin out the mixture by adding more vegan milk, a tablespoon at a time. If the chocolate smoothie bowl base seems thin, you can add more ice cubes or more frozen cherries to thicken it up.
The variation in thickness depends on a lot of factors, like the size of your banana, how old your chia seeds are, and how hard frozen the cherries you use are.
Serving and storage directions
A smoothie bowl is best eaten immediately. Like a smoothie, a smoothie bowl doesn't store well. Even if you throw it back into the blender with a bit of ice, it won't be quite as good the next day.
If you need to cut the recipe in half, by all means do so!
Chocolate smoothie bowl
- 1 banana
- ¾ cup frozen cherries
- ½ cup stemmed kale - curly kale or lacinto/dinosaur kale are both fine
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ cup ice cubes - or more, as needed (see note)
- ½ cup vegan milk of your choice - or more, as needed (see note)
- 1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
- extra cherries - for topping
- Combine all of the ingredients in your blender, except for the chocolate chips and extra cherries. Blend until smooth, adding the extra milk a tablespoon or two at a time as needed, until you get a nice, thick, smooth mixture.
- Top with the chocolate chips and extra cherries, and serve.