Churro French Toast has all of the cinnamon sweetness of a churro in a crunchy vegan French toast recipe that you can eat for breakfast!
How to Make Churro French Toast
You don’t need any fancy ingredients to make this cinnamon French toast recipe. I was able to get everything needed to make this recipe at the regular grocery store near my house.
This 7-ingredient vegan French toast recipe is super easy to make. Instead of using eggs, you dredge your bread slices in a silken tofu mixture before you fry it.
When the toast is done frying, you quickly coat in in a crunchy cinnamon-sugar mixture to bring that churro goodness into the mix.
Serve this with a dollop of vegan butter and a drizzle of maple syrup for some breakfast decadence.
The Simply Vegan Cookbook
This Churro French Toast recipe is a sample from The Simply Vegan Cookbook by Dustin Harder.
Dustin’s book is all about making vegan eating easy and affordable, and I think this recipe is a great example of that.
If you want to check out some other recipes from this book, try these on for size:
Finding Vegan Bread
Of course, to make vegan French toast, you need to start with vegan bread.
“Where can I get vegan bread?” is a really common question that I see from folks who have just gone vegan. And I can understand why. What is up with hidden animal ingredients in breads?? So annoying.
But don’t despair! There are plenty of great vegan bread options out there for everything from sandwiches to this Churro French Toast recipe.
The trick to finding vegan bread is looking out for sneaky animal ingredients. These are some common things to look out for when you’re searching through the bread aisle:
If you don’t feel like squinting at the ingredients when you’re shopping for vegan bread, I recommend Dave’s Killer Bread (not currently a sponsor. Call me, Dave’s Killer Bread!). These breads are vegan and my family’s favorite.
Their 21 Whole Grains and Seeds variety is the bread I used for the photos and video you see here, and it’s the one we eat every day. It’s currently the only whole grain bread that everyone in my family can agree on!
OK, so you have the bread situation covered. You’re basically ready to rock. You only need six more ingredients to make your Churro French Toast. Let’s cook!
Churro French Toast
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the milk, tofu, vanilla, and salt, making sure to break down the tofu, until the mixture is smooth. (NOTE: I did this in the blender, then poured the batter into a bowl.)
- In another wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop 1 tablespoon of butter into the pan. As it melts, quickly dredge 2 pieces of bread through the milk mixture, being sure to get only the outsides of the bread moist. Do not soak it.
- Repeat with the remaining bread, 2 pieces at a time, melting 1 tablespoon of butter to start each time. Serve hot, topped with maple syrup.
- Transfer both slices of bread to the skillet and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the bread to the sugar-and-cinnamon mixture and coat evenly on both sides, knocking off any excess sugar and cinnamon.