Coconut Pineapple Smoothie Bowl - A thick, creamy, tropical breakfast that comes together in just a few minutes and is packed with plenty of protein!
Making a smoothie bowl is as quick as making a smoothie, but I find them a lot more satisfying. I love smoothies when I'm on the go, but if I'm eating at home, it's nice to sit down to a proper breakfast, complete with a spoon and...you know...chewing. This coconut pineapple smoothie bowl is my latest, and it's so good, you guys!
A friend asked recently whether a smoothie bowl was just a smoothie that you dump in a bowl. And that is basically all it is. You make a good, thick smoothie, pour it into a bowl, and cover it with your favorite toppings. You can pretty much convert any smoothie recipe into a smoothie bowl recipe by pouring it into a bowl and tossing a handful of fruit, nuts, seeds, etc on top.
For this coconut pineapple smoothie bowl, I chose unsweetened coconut flakes, more sweet pineapple, and lots of protein-packed chia seeds. There are chia seeds in the smoothie itself, too, so you know there's a ton of protein in this bowl! The protein from the chia seeds plus the healthy fat from the coconut milk makes this a super filling breakfast.
Coconut Pineapple Smoothie Bowl
- 1 ½ cups frozen pineapple - plus extra (chopped) for topping
- ⅓ cup unsweetened lite coconut milk - use the canned kind, not the boxed kind
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds - divided
- 4 ice cubes
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- In your blender, combine the pineapple, coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of the chia seeds, and the ice. Puree until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into your bowl, and top with the extra pineapple, the remaining chia seeds, and the coconut flakes. Eat immediately.