Don’t you love how mulled wine just makes the whole house smell festive? Cranberry Mulled Wine is tart, sweet, spiced, and perfect for sipping on a cold evening.
I almost always make a batch of mulled wine when I’m planning a holiday party, but I have to admit: I’m usually sort of a cheater. I buy pre-packaged mulling spices, add some sliced citrus, and call it a day. For this recipe I wanted to branch out a little bit and make the whole shebang from scratch.
When I was sorting out this recipe my goal was to come up with a from-scratch mulled wine that was festive but also very simple to make. I made the test run of this cocktail on a Monday evening for some friends who come over to watch Mystery Science Theater 3000.
MST3K might not sound like an occasion for a fancy cocktail, but I actually test a lot of my Friday Cocktails on the MST crowd. My friends Bonnie, Rob, Bill, and Ellie always bring fun drinks and snacks. It’s the perfect chance to serve them something special and get trustworthy feedback on my recipes.
The recipe calls for vegan wine, which might sound a little bit strange. Wine production actually can include many animal ingredients, though, so it’s a good idea to do a little research before you go wine shopping. I picked up a bottle of Our Daily Red, the same wine that I used to make my red wine hot toddy. It’s a solid red table wine that’s organic, vegan, and affordable, but you can use any red wine that you like in this mulled wine recipe.
Cranberry Mulled Wine
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 lemon - sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 orange - sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2" piece fresh ginger - peeled and cut into thin slivers
- 1 750ml bottle vegan red wine
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 pieces candied ginger - for garnish
- Bring all of the ingredients except for the candied ginger to a boil, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm with a slice of candied ginger on each mug.