Tomato sauce is delicious, but sometimes you want more veggies on your pasta than you can cram into a red sauce. This broccoli and mushroom sauce is one of my favorite ways to top a bowl of noodles or ravioli!
Last week I got a big box of vegan ravioli from Tofutti to review for Eat Drink Better (you can read the review here). It arrived on a busy Wednesday. I was kind of drowning in freelance assignments, and cooking supper was not high up on my to-do list. What a perfect day to receive a surprise box of convenience food!
Do you ever do that thing where you're working, working, working, and suddenly you realize that you're starving? This is what happened last Wednesday. I was plowing through a mountain of deadlines and hunger seemed to smack me out of nowhere. This called for something quick and easy, so I grabbed one of those bags of frozen ravioli and whipped up this staple sauce. The whole thing took maybe 20 minutes, and most of that was ravioli cooking time. Prepping and cooking the veggies was more of a 10 minute affair.
The Tofutti ravioli was not my favorite, but the broccoli and mushrooms came together perfectly and easily. This is a dish that I made a lot - or at least I made variations on it a lot - and I was surprised to realize that I'd never shared the recipe here! This is me correcting that error!
Easy Broccoli and Mushroom Pasta Sauce
Yield: about 3 servings
- ¼ cupÂ olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- water or wine, as needed
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until it starts to soften.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add the broccoli and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms soften and the broccoli turns bright green. If the pan starts to get dry, add a splash of water or wine, and cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Toss with your favorite pasta, drizzle with some extra olive oil, and serve!